Alumni Profile: Benjamin Brewin

“I haven't looked back since. It has been rewarding work to address health problems and their social determinants.”
Once Benjamin Brewin had decided he wanted to do Nutrition and Dietetics at Monash nothing was going to stop him.

“I was introduced to nutrition science whilst I was studying exercise and health sciences at another university. I absolutely loved it, so when I saw that Monash was offering a graduate entry program straight into third year of the Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics I decided I would do everything possible to get accepted.”

Get accepted he did. Monash was a great decision in a range of ways, Benjamin says. “The knowledge and experiences the lecturers provided were first class. Monash provided me with ongoing support. From the first call I made as a student from another university, to the last class I attended before graduating.”

Benjamin believes his studies gave him far more than just a sound knowledge base. “The lecturers constantly challenged our point of view and underlying assumptions to help us develop critical thinking skills; this was further enhanced through the placements which provided fantastic practical experience.”

Originally planning to work in a clinical role following graduation, Benjamin’s career took a different direction when he grabbed an opportunity to work in health promotion for a government health service. “I haven't looked back since. It has been rewarding work to address health problems and their social determinants.”


Benjamin's advice to future students is to make the most of your Monash experience. “Challenge yourself and your peers to get the best out of each other. Most importantly, enjoy and embrace all the experiences offered to you. University is much more than just your studies and there are opportunities to grow around every corner.”

Monash Nutrition Twitter