Alumni Profile: Sarah Clark


   
 

 
As a paediatric dietitian at the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Sarah Clark’s workload is, she acknowledges, “busy and challenging”.
“But it’s also incredibly rewarding. I have to use my food knowledge every day. I love working with children and their families, and the staff and environment at the hospital makes it a wonderful place to work.”

Sarah’s relationship with the hospital began when she was still a Nutrition and Dietetics student, working as a casual menu monitor. It was a case of being in the right place and the right time, combined with a determination to push through a revolving door of temporary contracts, that saw Sarah eventually secure a permanent dietitian position.

“Several dietitians fell pregnant during my final year at university, so I was lucky enough to be offered a maternity leave role. That was almost five years ago and I have managed to remain full-time ever since. Finally last year I gained a permanent position after 14 different temporary contracts!”

Sarah has gained vast experience, working in almost every unit of the hospital. At the moment she works across the areas of gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology and ketogenic diets for refractory epilepsy. While deliberately choosing to keep an open mind about future directions while studying, Sarah says she is pleased with how her career has fallen into place.
“I was never fixated on one particular area, however I am so happy to have landed in paediatrics. I'll never leave.”
Sarah advises dietetics students to “do things that get you outside of your comfort zone as it will only make you a better-rounded person. Use your initiative and do things that will help you stand out from the crowd.”

Monash Nutrition Twitter